Sunday, February 9, 2014

Newtons Second Law and Feelings


The first part of Newtons second Law: Acceleration is produced when a force acts upon a mass.

What does that mean? What is Acceleration, and why do we care that it is produced? Well, in order for you to get out of bed in the morning (as discussed previously), a force must be strong enough to overcome your inertia. The result? You move, and therefore have accelerated.

Acceleration is defined as a change in Velocity. It is a change in speed or direction. You change your rate when, for example, you peacefully stand at the sink doing dishes and then suddenly rush to the stove to turn down the flame on the rice . You slow down (hopefully) when you realize you are about to run into a wall. You also accelerate when ever you turn around, or walk in a circle.

Ok. So why is acceleration so cool? Why is moving so special, aside from it is a good thing to do, just as getting out of bed is a good thing to do?

Think about it. How do you experience being in a position? You sit and look around you, and you know you are not moving. How do you experience velocity? You might say, "I experience velocity when traveling in an airplane. All right, but how did you know you were changing position? "I looked out the window, and saw that the plan was flying over the river." "Ok, but how do you know you were experiencing velocity when you were sleeping on the airplane? You were just siting in the airplane seat, not changing your position, not moving. "You mean I can't experience velocity unless I sense it, meaning that I see that I move?"

Yes, that is what I am trying to say. It is hard to experience a change your position unless you actually see, or sense somehow that you have moved.

"But I know that when I am riding in a car with my eyes shut I am moving, changing position. I can feel it!" I know when my mom has stopped at a stop sign or has slammed on the breaks, or has sped up to pass the slow person in front of her, and when she has turned the corner. I can feel it."

Yes! That's it, the key word! The key that brings the laws of complicated mathematical physics and that of ordinary life together! And that key opens a door, a door to a world where something mathematically known becomes integrated with the physical materials of your very life.
You feel acceleration in your flesh and bones.





















No comments:

Post a Comment