Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Three Syllables that Induce Fear



“Well Lori, I am glad you are back in Houston now. The first case of Ebola in the US is in Dallas.”

“Hey Dad, guess where I’m going this weekend!” And I traveled to Dallas with no worries to celebrate my friend’s birthday.

But after hearing that a Mr. Duncan in Dallas had Ebola, I worried. My first thought was how terrible. I hope that person is not going to die alone and unattended. I thought of all the horrible pictures on the internet of people bleeding out their eyes. What a horrible way to die.

I was not scared that I was going to catch Ebola from Mr. Duncan, for my chances were practically zero. But I could not deny that it was scary to think about having to die from it. So then I wondered why. Why does dying from Ebola bring about so much fear? Am I afraid of the pain? Am I afraid of dying? Yes. But we as human are all afraid of pain and death, and that healthy fear keeps us alive. (I am afraid to die so I will stay in my lane and not crash into the car beside me.) (I am afraid of pain so I will not touch that hot iron skillet without a potholder.) But once I have contracted Ebola pain and death are eminent and fearing them will not help me, not feel pain, or not die.

As a Christian, I realize that if I have Ebola I do not need to fear suffering or death, as Christ has sanctified one and conquered the other. When I remember my faith the fear that comes with Ebola should flee.

What is the root fear then that Ebola evokes within us? It is a fear that comes with not being able to control the virus, (Those plastic suits and face masks are not really invincible…the nurses taking care of Mr. Duncan were still infected), and the uncertainty of catching it if an epidemic breaks out in the states. It is a fear of not having control over your life.


Ebola has made me realize that I fear surrendering my entire life to God.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Great connections! Thank you for sharing. This is just want I needed this morning. I love you! <3

    ReplyDelete